Cooking with Curv. Chapter 1: Creating the Base. Cannabutter and Canna Oil
Cannabutter and Canna Oil are two vital ingredients in most cannabis recipes. That’s why it is important to learn how to make them before cooking with cannabis.
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 2 cups water
- 1 ounce decarboxylated, ground cannabis buds, or 2 ounces decarboxylated dried, ground, and trimmed cannabis leaf
Also don’t forget about the right equipment:
- Large saucepan/pot
- Large glass bowl
- Strainer or sieve that ts in the glass bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Butter knife
- Lidded glass jar (to store the nished cannabutter)
- In a large saucepan, bring the butter and water to a rapid simmer (just below a boil—the liquid will be active, with small bubbles consistently rising to the surface) over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Whisk in the cannabis.
- Reduce the heat to low and bring the mixture to a slow simmer (there will be very little movement in the liquid, with small bubbles occasionally rising to the surface). Do not let the mixture boil.
- Cook for 5 hours, stirring every 90 minutes or so. Add additional warm water if needed (you don’t want all the water to boil o ).
- While the butter cooks, line a strainer or sieve with cheesecloth and place it over a large glass bowl.
- After 5 hours, pour the butter slowly through the cheesecloth into the bowl. Press down on the cannabis with a spatula to extract all the butter.
- Fold the cheesecloth, and use the spatula to push any remaining cannabutter into the bowl. Discard the cheesecloth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours (overnight is better). The mixture will separate into solid butter and liquid water.
- Remove the butter from the fridge, discard the water, and slide a butter knife around the edges to remove the cannabutter from the bowl.
- Transfer the butter to a glass jar with a lid and store it in the fridge or freezer.
Canna Oil. Pretty much any virgin olive oil will work nicely for this recipe. However it is better to use a fruity extra-virgin olive oil If you plan on using your Canna Oil for salad dressings or pasta.
To make Canna Oil you need:
- 6 cups olive oil or canola oil
- 1 ounce cannabis buds, finely ground, or 2 ounces trimmed leaf, dried and ground
In a heavy saucepan (or a double boiler), slowly heat oil on low heat for a few minutes. You should begin to smell the oil’s aroma. Add a little bit of cannabis to the oil and then stir until it is fully coated with oil. Keep adding more cannabis until the entire amount of cannabis is mixed into the oil. Simmer on low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool before straining. Press the cannabis against a metal strainer with the back of a spoon to wring all the oil out of it. The oil is best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Throw the leftover cannabis in the compost.